Drop off and pick up some new books in Japanese
Lots of decommissioned public library books here.
Or at least there used to be a Little Free Library here!
Stopping by the local mini branch and there’s an exciting storyteller with balloons. A fully grown woman amazed a bunch of 1-8 year olds with the ability to climb into a 6 foot yellow balloon and carefully escape. In a terrifically tiny branch library, how can you not but pay attention to 20 kids chanting, cheering, clapping, and generally recreating the sounds of a hurricane from a storybook? It was better than anything I might have otherwise watched on TV tonight.
Waiting for the library to open with central casting milling around the front door:
- A poor actor talking about knowing Corey Feldman back in the day is wearing a brown poncho with black devil horns on his forehead while speaking in a preternaturally loud voice, as if he were giving a performance;
- His sixty-ish female companion is trying to wrangle several children, though I’m not sure how many of the three or so orbiting her are actually hers;
- One of the children, a 7 year old named Tommy Two Feathers, is commanded to look for a blue jacket as the group hovers around a very late model Toyota pickup parked in a no parking zone that appears to have all of the family’s belongings except for the several dozen or so which are sitting on the sidewalk for no apparent reason;
- Then there are two tatted up 20 something thugs, one of whom is sparking up in the grass while the other twitchily watches;
- There’s a granola mom with two home-schooled kids buzzing around on scooters;
- A first generation Chinese woman with tattered plastic grocery bags full of books to return;
- A Caucasian retiree in a hoodie;
- An average mom with a bright, curly red-headed 2 year old; and
- A few hipsters of the Eagle Rock persuasion.
I wish I could take more photos, but don’t think the menagerie would really appreciate it. I definitely wanted to videotape the devil’s performance, but I’m not sure if I would have remained one of the audience in the process.
I’m wondering how I came to be here…
Returning overdue books.
Picked up a copy of The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke to try out.
Picking up some books to improve my Japanese.
Returning overdue books
An overview of an app for tracking your reading that offers different tools than Goodreads or Litsy