I’ve been thinking more about local news lately, so I’ve taken some time to aggregate some of my local news sources. While I live in the Los Angeles area, it’s not like I’m eschewing the Los Angeles Times, but I wanted to go even more uber-local than this. Thus I’m looking more closely at my local Altadena and Pasadena news outlets. I’m a bit surprised to see just how many small outlets and options I’ve got! People say local news is dying or dead, so I thought I would only find two or three options–how wrong could I have been?
In addition to some straightforward journalistic related news sources, I’ve also included some additional local flavor news which includes town councils, the chamber of commerce, historical societies, etc. which have websites that produce feeds with occasional news items.
Going forward you can see these sources aggregated on my following page.
For those who are interested I’ve created an OPML file which contains the RSS feeds of all these sources if they’d like to follow them as well. Naturally most have other social media presences, but there’s usually no guarantee that if you followed them that way that you’ll actually see the news you wanted.
If anyone is aware of other sources, I’m happy to add them to the list.
Here’s the initial list of sources:
- ColoradoBoulevard.net – Daily news and events magazine for Pasadena and Greater Pasadena area.
- Pasadena Now – Where else can you get this much daily news and information about Pasadena?
- The Outlook – Local news for Pasadena, La Canada/Flintridge, and San Marino areas
- Pasadena Independent – Relevant Pasadena news to engage the community
- Pasadena Weekly – Greater Pasadena’s Free News and Entertainment Weekly
- Pasadena Star News – Local news source for Pasadena and the surrounding area providing breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, things to do, opinion, photos, videos and more from the west San Gabriel Valley
- Pasadena Magazine – Pasadena is the bi-monthly magazine of Pasadena and its surrounding areas – the diverse, historically rich and culturally vibrant region.
- Altadena Chamber of Commerce – News and information from the Altadena, CA Chamber of Commerce
- The Pasadena / San Gabriel Valley Journal – Serving the Pasadena / San Gabriel Valley | A locally owned and operated independent African American newspaper
- Altadena Town Council – Proudly Serving Our Community
- Altadena Now – Local news for Altadena, CA
- Altadena Patch – Local news and events from Altadena, CA Patch.
- Altadena Heritage – Altadena Heritage Advocacy and Preservation
- Altadena Filming – A resource for filming in Altadena.
- Altadena Historical Society – AHS, a non-profit organization, was founded to gather, preserve, and make available information about the people, places and events that have shaped our community in the past.