America’s political system isn’t broken. The truth is scarier: it’s working exactly as designed. In this book, journalist Ezra Klein reveals how that system is polarizing us—and how we are polarizing it—with disastrous results.
“The American political system—which includes everyone from voters to journalists to the president—is full of rational actors making rational decisions given the incentives they face,” writes political analyst Ezra Klein. “We are a collection of functional parts whose efforts combine into a dysfunctional whole.”
In Why We’re Polarized, Klein reveals the structural and psychological forces behind America’s descent into division and dysfunction. Neither a polemic nor a lament, this book offers a clear framework for understanding everything from Trump’s rise to the Democratic Party’s leftward shift to the politicization of everyday culture.
America is polarized, first and foremost, by identity. Everyone engaged in American politics is engaged, at some level, in identity politics. Over the past fifty years in America, our partisan identities have merged with our racial, religious, geographic, ideological, and cultural identities. These merged identities have attained a weight that is breaking much in our politics and tearing at the bonds that hold this country together.
Klein shows how and why American politics polarized around identity in the twentieth century, and what that polarization did to the way we see the world and one another. And he traces the feedback loops between polarized political identities and polarized political institutions that are driving our system toward crisis.
This is a revelatory book that will change how you look at politics, and perhaps at yourself.
Japanese difficult? Study boring? No way! Not with this “real manga, real Japanese” approach to learning. Presenting all spoken Japanese as a variation of three basic sentence types, Japanese the Manga Way shows how to build complex constructions step by step. Every grammar point is illustrated by an actual manga published in Japan to show how the language is used in real life, an approach that is entertaining and memorable. As an introduction, as a jump-start for struggling students, or (with its index) as a reference and review for veterans, Japanese the Manga Way is perfect for all learners at all levels.
- The felt mat size: 31.5 x 51.18 x 0.12 inch (80 x 130 cm x 3 mm).
- Good quality. Thickened felt pad, it contains wool material.
- Can be hold your paper and keep the table clean, you won't get ink on your desk.
- Can be used for practice calligraphy/sumi and drawing, perfect for beginners and Chinese lovers.
- Easy to carry and easy to use.
Your finger reader for fantastic reading experience in android
They’ve got some reasonable highlights and notes functionality and sharing/export (though their HTML export doesn’t seem to be working).
Our Heritage Poplin Shirt is washed to softness for a lightweight and versatile summer style.
Say hello to your new summertime go-to button-down—lightweight and breathable, this 4-oz., 2-ply cotton Heritage Poplin Shirt feels just right for the warmer months. The bright colors—and relaxed look—are ideal for the season, but the shirt layers easily under a sports jacket or summer-weight sweater for those times you want to dress things up a bit. We heavily washed the shirt for extreme softness and cut it so the hem falls right at your pants' front pockets—perfect for wearing it untucked when you please. We also trimmed the body for a true active fit. Button-down collar, one patch pocket, two-button adjustable cuffs, center back box pleat with locker loop. Pure cotton. Washable. Imported.
Sizes M(38-40), L(42-44), XL(46-48), XXL(50-52).
- Lightweight, breathable 4-oz., 2-ply cotton poplin
- Layers easily under a sports jacket or summer-weight sweater
- Heavily washed for extreme softness
- Hem falls right at your pants' front pockets—perfect for wearing untucked
- True, trimmed-down Active Fit
- Button-down collar and one patch pocket
- Two-button adjustable cuffs
- Center back box pleat with locker loop
Our windproof and water-repelling Foul Weather Sweater incorporates a lined body and a fleece-lined collar. Combine those features with draft-eliminating rib-knit trim on the cuffs and waist, and you've got effective assurance against nasty weather. Detailed with cotton twill shoulder patches, side-seam pockets with microfleece lining, and contrast grosgrain inside the collar. Printed lining. Shell: pure wool. Lining: polyester. Washable. Imported.
Sizes S(34-36), M(38-40), L(42-44), XL(46-48), XXL(50-52).
- Wears like a sweater, works like a jacket
- Windproof, water repelling, and warm
- Draft-eliminating rib-knit trim on the cuffs and waist
- Fleece-lined collar
- Detailed with cotton twill shoulder patches
- Side-seam pockets lined with warm microfleece
- Printed lining
There’s just something about winter themed socks that sparks joy.
- One 5 lb bag
- White Lily had been helping southern cooks make great biscuits since 1883
- 100% pure red winter wheat with a lower gluten content than typical flours
- Best for biscuits, pastries and quick breads
- A regional product not generally available in the West and Northeast
A Japanese Dictionary
The Dyson V8 Animal stick vacuum is engineered for homes with pets. Captures dust, animal hair and allergens.
Now if I could just get the Furminator version of this vacuum so we could get it at the source…
For over 50 years students, professors, clergy, and general readers have relied on The New Oxford Annotated Bible as an unparalleled authority in Study Bibles. This fifth edition of the Annotated remains the best way to study and understand the Bible at home or in the classroom. This thoroughly revised and substantially updated edition contains the best scholarship informed by recent discoveries and anchored in the solid Study Bible tradition.
· Introductions and extensive annotations for each book by acknowledged experts in the field provide context and guidance.
· Introductory essays on major groups of biblical writings - Pentateuch, Prophets, Gospels, and other sections - give readers an overview that guides more intensive study.
· General essays on history, translation matters, different canons in use today, and issues of daily life in biblical times inform the reader of important aspects of biblical study.
· Maps and diagrams within the text contextualize where events took place and how to understand them.
· Color maps give readers the geographical orientation they need for understanding historical accounts throughout the Bible.
· Timelines, parallel texts, weights and measures, calendars, and other helpful tables help navigate the biblical world.
· An extensive glossary of technical terms demystifies the language of biblical scholarship.
· An index to the study materials eases the way to the quick location of information.
The New Oxford Annotated Bible, with twenty new essays and introductions and others--as well as annotations--fully revised, offers the reader flexibility for any learning style. Beginning with a specific passage or a significant concept, finding information for meditation, sermon preparation, or academic study is straightforward and intuitive.
A volume that users will want to keep for continued reference, The New Oxford Annotated Bible continues the Oxford University Press tradition of providing excellence in scholarship for the general reader. Generations of users attest to its status as the best one-volume Bible reference tool for any home, library, or classroom.
- 192 LINED PAGES WITH DAY/MONTH HEADERS & SUBJECT LINE
- BULLET TEMPLATE WITH RULER
- ELASTIC PEN HOLDER WITH GOLD METAL GROMMET REINFORCEMENT
- ELASTIC CLOSURE
- FABRIC WRAPPED SPINE
- ID BADGE ON COVER
- INFORMATIONAL PAGES
- 3 RIBBON MARKERS
- HAND SEWN LAY-FLAT BINDING
- GOLD FOIL ACCENT
- 6.75" X 8.5" FLUSH CUT COVER WITH RAW EDGES
- PRINTED WITH SOY INKS ON ACID-FREE PAPER
"YOUR EVERYDAY ARSENAL FOR GETTING STUFF DONE"
Form meets function in our STANDARD ISSUE notebooks. Whether you're exploring the great frontier or an idea for your next big project these notebooks are all you need. We've paired clean utilitarian designs with high-quality construction for a premium writing experience.
Each journal is packed with handy features like bullet templates conversion charts pen holders and ID badges to help keep you organized. STANDARD ISSUE notebooks are designed to be the only piece of gear you need to get you through the day.
The world is working exactly as designed. The combustion engine which is destroying our planet’s atmosphere and rapidly making it inhospitable is working exactly as we designed it. Guns, which lead to so much death, work exactly as they’re designed to work. And every time we “improve” their design, they get better at killing. Facebook’s privacy settings, which have outed gay teens to their conservative parents, are working exactly as designed. Their “real names” initiative, which makes it easier for stalkers to re-find their victims, is working exactly as designed. Twitter’s toxicity and lack of civil discourse is working exactly as it’s designed to work.The world is working exactly as designed. And it’s not working very well. Which means we need to do a better job of designing it. Design is a craft with an amazing amount of power. The power to choose. The power to influence. As designers, we need to see ourselves as gatekeepers of what we are bringing into the world, and what we choose not to bring into the world. Design is a craft with responsibility. The responsibility to help create a better world for all. Design is also a craft with a lot of blood on its hands. Every cigarette ad is on us. Every gun is on us. Every ballot that a voter cannot understand is on us. Every time social network’s interface allows a stalker to find their victim, that’s on us. The monsters we unleash into the world will carry your name. This book will make you see that design is a political act. What we choose to design is a political act. Who we choose to work for is a political act. Who we choose to work with is a political act. And, most importantly, the people we’ve excluded from these decisions is the biggest (and stupidest) political act we’ve made as a society.If you’re a designer, this book might make you angry. It should make you angry. But it will also give you the tools you need to make better decisions. You will learn how to evaluate the potential benefits and harm of what you’re working on. You’ll learn how to present your concerns. You’ll learn the importance of building and working with diverse teams who can approach problems from multiple points-of-view. You’ll learn how to make a case using data and good storytelling. You’ll learn to say NO in a way that’ll make people listen. But mostly, this book will fill you with the confidence to do the job the way you always wanted to be able to do it. This book will help you understand your responsibilities.
I just noticed he’s touring with his book and will be in my backyard later this month: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mike-monteiro-lets-destroy-silicon-valley-tickets-60958127400
I love the line for it: “This isn’t a talk, this is a union meeting.”
Got a .azw version of the book for my Kindle.