Two rows of four typewriters each lined up on opposite sides of a table.

Collective Nouns for Typewriters and Typists

The traditional collective noun for a group of typists is a “pool”, but this just doesn’t seem as creative or entertaining as many collective nouns can potentially be. As a typewriter collector it would be more fun to have a clever collective noun for a group of typists at a type-in. Similarly it would be nice to have a name for a collection of typewriters themselves. 

So toward this end I thought I’d brainstorm for a moment to make a few lists of potential ideas for both. If you’ve got ideas, please add them to the comments. There’s no need to try to come up with an “official” collective noun as use in daily life, writing, and throughout the typosphere will ultimately determine a winner through actual usage. Some words are double-listed as they could refer to either.

What do you call your collection?

Potential Collective Nouns for Typewriters

  • Radiance
  • Tabulation
  • Segment (no one’s every done collecting, are they?)
  • Sheaf
  • Clatter
  • Flourish
  • Sounder
  • Chatter
  • Ream
  • Basket
  • Font
  • Aureole (for the Smith-Corona enthusiasts)
  • Roost (especially when stored and displayed on shelves)
  • Parenthesis
  • Return 

Potential Collective Nouns for Typists

  • Pool (traditional)
  • Claque
  • Vibration
  • Riot
  • Mayhem
  • Commotion
  • Symphony
  • Exclamation
  • Shift
  • Chattering
  • Touch
  • Drumming
  • Sonority
  • Tumult
  • Thriving
  • Applause
  • Manual
  • Carriage
  • Clatter

What could we be? Are we a vibration of typists? Maybe we’re a thriving of typists? A Touch of Typewriter Collectors? Please add your ideas to the list below…

Published by

Chris Aldrich

I'm a biomedical and electrical engineer with interests in information theory, complexity, evolution, genetics, signal processing, IndieWeb, theoretical mathematics, and big history. I'm also a talent manager-producer-publisher in the entertainment industry with expertise in representation, distribution, finance, production, content delivery, and new media.

8 thoughts on “Collective Nouns for Typewriters and Typists”

  1. T.Munk says:

    I use “Corral” when referring to my typewriters as a collective.

    1. Chris Aldrich says:

      Thanks! This makes me think I ought to add a “Chorale of Typists” to the list as a corresponding collective noun.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *