On local TV stations across the United States, news anchors have been delivering the exact same message to their viewers. “Our greatest responsibility,” they begin by saying, “is to serve our communities.”
But what they are being forced to say next has left many questioning whom those stations are really being asked to serve.
On today’s episode:
• Sydney Ember, a New York Times business reporter who covers print and digital media.
• Aaron Weiss, who worked several years ago as a news director for Sinclair in Sioux City, Iowa.
• Anchors at local news stations across the country made identical comments about media bias. The script came from their owner, Sinclair Broadcast Group.
• David D. Smith, the chairman of Sinclair Broadcast Group, said his stations were no different from network news outlets.
• The largest owner of local TV stations, Sinclair has a history of supporting Republican causes.
Syndicated copies to: